Speaking on her work in science fiction, Octavia E. Butler says "The one thing that I and my main characters never do when contemplating the future is to give up hope."
For an upcoming edition of CAROUSEL, we invite submissions from Black and Indigenous authors on the theme of AFROFUTURISM + INDIGENOUS FUTURISM. As we watch with triumph the revitalization of Indigenous ways of knowing and the brilliance of Black liberation, it is authors like Ytasha Womack and Cherie Dimaline who remind us of the importance of continuing to manifest futures for peoples who have long been treated as fixtures of the past. We don’t know what will be lighted when the sun rises on the next millennium, but we know we will be there to see it … and we will be excellent.
Molly Cross-Blanchard is a white and Métis writer living on unceded Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh land, cka Vancouver. She did an MFA in Creative Writing at the University of British Columbia, she's the publisher at Room Magazine, and her debut full-length collection of poetry, Exhibitionist, will be published by Coach House Books in April 2021.
Terese Mason Pierre is a writer and editor whose work has appeared in Canthius, The Puritan, Quill and Quire and Strange Horizons, among others. She is currently the Senior Poetry Editor of Augur Magazine, a Canadian speculative literature journal, and the author of chapbooks Surface Area (Anstruther Press, 2019) and Manifest (Gap Riot Press, 2020). Terese lives and works in Toronto.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
· POETRY:submit 3-5 poems (to a maximum of 10 pages) in a single document: each new piece should be formatted to start on a new page
· FICTION:submit 1 story (up to 3,500 words)
· please include your FULL NAME and EMAIL at the top of every page of your submission
· preferred file format is .DOCX (we will also accept .DOC and .PDF)
· we are interested in publishing all forms of poetry including traditional, formal, experimental and concrete
· we do not publish plays or scripts
Deadline for submissions: Oct 31 / 2020
Announcement of accepted works: Feb 01 / 2021
Project release date: Apr 2021 (as part of CAROUSEL 45)
Thanks for submitting to CAROUSEL and good luck in advance. We look forward to reading your work!
We use Submittable to accept and review our submissions.