There are presently no open calls for submissions.
CAROUSEL (est. 1983) is an exquisitely produced hybrid literary/arts magazine with a global focus, positioning Canadian talent alongside international contributors. This innovative journal — now exclusively released online — prides itself on representing both new & established artists and on presenting work across many genres: if it’s original & engaging, we want to give it a home!
IS YOUR WORK A GOOD FIT?
· we strongly recommend that you research CAROUSEL carefully before you submit: you can read our current/recent issues (44-49) on our website; additionally, many archived works (highlights from issues 15-40) are fully accessible at our blog; and finally, sample copies of our lovely print back issues may also be ordered HERE
· add your email address to our electronic mailing list — you will receive one or two emails per month keeping you informed about events, calls and general CAROUSEL news
CAROUSEL does not charge reading fees, unless otherwise specified (please note that we only have a limited number of free submissions per month; if we exceed this number (which is 200), our free submissions categories will close for the remainder of the month ... in this instance, we turn on an optional $2 version of the category if you still want to submit NOW — or, please return on the first of the following month!)
Poetry + Fiction — forthcoming reading period:
#USEReview: Call for Experimental Reviews
· currently closed
READY TO SUBMIT?
· we welcome submissions from everyone, but we especially encourage creators from marginalized groups (including but not limited to BIPOC, 2SLGBTQQIA, low-income, and disabled communities) to submit
· we do not accept previously published work (including works that have appeared in chapbooks or anywhere online)
· by submitting your work to CAROUSEL, you acknowledge that you will be automatically signed up to receive CAROUSEL E-News! — we send 1 or 2 emails per month informing you about events, submission calls and other magazine-related happenings (you may unsubscribe at any time)
SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS POLICY
· we allow simultaneous submissions; indicate in your cover letter if we are viewing works simultaneously submitted to other outlets
· if you do place work elsewhere, let us know immediately by adding a message to your submission (if you're open to sharing, we also love to know where your work was placed)
PAYMENTS & RIGHTS
· accepted contributors will receive an honorarium upon publication (paid in CDN currency, via Paypal or eTransfer) according to the following 2023 Fee Schedule: Poetry: $25 per poem — Fiction: $40–$80 per story — Experimental Reviews: $20–$40 per review
· CAROUSEL reserves the First North American serial rights and the non-exclusive rights to reprint and/or electronically publish any materials that appear in the magazine, including subsequent use on promotional materials related to the magazine and/or its events
· we also ask for credit to CAROUSEL (all caps, please) for any future reprints on all published works
· copyrights remain with the author or artist
· expect a response within 6 months; if you have not heard from us by then, feel free to check in by email
· please do not submit again until you have received a response to your previous submission